Monday, December 3, 2007

We even parent different

Duh. Why did I write that? Obviously since we are so different we parent different. Ethan just pointed that out on Saturday night and it really was the first time I paid attention. Honestly, I've got too much going on. And if anyone was wanting a nap report...one normal nap since Thanksgiving (2 hrs)...2 semi naps of about 30 minutes after crying first. THIS IS SUPER FUN. REALLY. COME TO MY HOUSE AT NAP TIME. ITS A BLAST. WE GO BETWEEN WHINING TO SAYING DADDY TO SAYING NO TO JUMPING IN THE CRIB LIKE ITS A TRAMPOLINE. And, I'm supposed to ignore it. Give him an hour...

Saturday night we drove to another town that was having a tree lighting and lighted boat parade. Totally up Ryan's alley. After a dinner of popcorn and gold fish (shi shis) we walked around killing time. I kept asking Ryan if he was hungry or wanted a drink and he kept giving me a dirty look. Finally Ethan said that is the difference between you and me. I wait til he tells me he wants something or wait til he fusses and then figure it out. I said yes, that is the difference. I tend to want to hold of the "fussing" because its really not fussing, its more of a full blown tantrum and since I get the pleasure of experiencing them M-F on my own...I kinda get tired of them. Basically, he thinks my questions bug Ryan.

Sure. Blame the mom. I'm the worrier, always wondering if he's hot or getting sick. I don't know why, its just me. I try to contain it as best I can. But hey, even "cool dad" hasn't been able to get him to nap SO THERE.

Speaking of parenting, I'm getting flack from my dad for putting Ryan in his crib to "rest" since he won't nap. Apparently, my dad has become Dr. Spock since becoming a grandpa. I don't know why he feels the need to give advice when he has no idea what the hell he is talking about. My dad was a different kind of parent...the 1970's dad...he worked, he provided for the family. Normal parenting duties were not his thing. This is nothing against him, but its true. He didn't give us baths or put us to bed, or even change diapers. He knows nothing of toddler schedules or meals. He worked, sometimes he had 2 jobs. He didn't go to doctor appointments. He worked, he came home, he ate dinner, he rested, then went to bed. At some point in time he disciplined us and attended some sporting events.

I totally give him credit for taking care of the family. He worked hard, my parents bought their house when they were 21 and 25 yrs old. My dad has an AA from junior college. It wasn't easy for them I'm sure, but we always had what we needed, and then some. So i'm not blaming or knocking him, I just don't understand why he is trying to help in an area where he has no experience. NONE.

Ofcourse I don't like listening to Ryan whine in his crib...but he woke up at 5:00am....he is tired. We all need a break. And actually (crossing fingers) he is quiet now and might be asleep. It feels like a battle of wills sometimes. How does a 2 yr old keep up with me? He is a stubborn little man and I keep thinking this is for his own good...I think I can I think I can!

2 comments:

Liz said...

ooh i HATE being told what to do when i didn't ask!!! so annoying.

appreciate the thought and all...but gr. naptime is sacred - i'm making bumper stickers. sleep isn't mandatory, but the TIME is.

so says she who still has a napping child.

Our Family of Four said...

Oh hold on Brandi! Max pulled the same thing, about the same age, and now takes a 2-3 hour nap that I have to wake him from! And no, I cannot tell you why or how it changed but thank God it did!

So with ya on the parenting thing... some random guy gave me "advice" a.k.a. criticism, the other day - WHATEVER! Grrr...